Here’s a resume I did for Leonard Able. It’s a solid two pages and packed with all meat.
Before I started working on this for Leonard, his resume was 3 and half pages long.
I condensed everything down – all his experience and accomplishments into a more readable and understandable format.
Leonard is looking for an executive position and he certainly has the qualifications to back it up.
- He’s been to graduate school & more
- He’s been to management school
- He’s on the board of directors at Charles Schwab
- He’s a recognized speaker
- He’s an author
What I’m saying here is this guy fits the profile for the type of job he is looking for. His resume is relevant to his job search.
It doesn’t matter what kind of job you are looking for, just that your resume is relevant to that type of job. Whether you’re an executive or a mail boy, your resume needs to reflect your past experience as it relates to the job.
Even if Leonard worked as an insurance salesman in his early days, you won’t find that on his resume because it’s not relevant to Executive Management. Do you get the point?
Now, if you’re changing careers and don’t have any of the experience you need for the job you want, then you better get some.
Here is Leonard’s Resume:
1354 River Rd. ● Danville, CA 90341 ● 901-321-0674 ● email@example.com
OBJECTIVE: Chief Information Officer – Senior Executive
- Results focused senior executive with over 20 years experience in creating robust IT organizations, leading technology product management, and development services.
- Proven abilities in bringing IT solutions to address business needs, with a focus on growth and innovation.
- Extensive experience in leading organizations through transformational change driven by rapid growth or crisis.
Charles Schwab & Co., San Francisco, CA 1999 – 2008
SVP & CIO, Product Development & Technology (2006 – 2008)
- Promoted to CIO of the Schwab Institutional business line with direct reporting relationships to the President of Schwab.
- Provide strategic direction to executive management on technology initiatives in support of the development of the custodial e-commerce platform.
- Developed and revised the business/IT strategy to stay current with competitive pressures and technology trends.
- Led the senior management team in the strategy, assessment and prioritization of a $40M technology project during the annual funding cycle.
- Achieved 30% run rate expense reductions via reducing complexity, improving processes, and utilizing a highly leveraged offshore contingent workforce.
- Reduced annual expenses $19M by transitioning from a 100% FTE labor pool to 40% of staff offshore with an 80%/20% offshore/onshore ratio.
- Eliminated 3 management layers (7 to 4) to improve communications and productivity.
- Simplified the distributed server environment resulting in a 22% expense savings with a 40% increase in application performance.
- Designed and deployed OTP (one–time password tokens) and fraud detection infrastructure for the entire client base to enhance online security.
Charles Schwab & Co., San Francisco, CA (cont.)
VP, Corporate Administration Technology & Offshore Services (2002 – 2003)
VP, Finance & Corporate Administration Technology (1999 – 2001)
- Directly negotiated and executed cost neutral offshore transition phase for product sustaining services, resulting in an immediate $8M cost savings.
- Managed availability and performance of business critical systems, including enterprise HR/Payroll, Financial, and corporate intranet products and services.
- Migrated Schwab’s internal groups to industry standard distributed platforms.
- Developed a comprehensive infrastructure foundation to help further employee self-service initiatives to improve firm-wide productivity.
- Transitioned 25,000+ employees to online timesheets, performance management, and compensation planning self-service tools within 12 months.
- Reduced internal web properties 80% by implementing standards and processes for intranet access control and ownership.
Bankers Trust, Jersey City, NJ 1995 – 1999
VP, Defined Contribution & Participant Services
- Regained market leadership in mega-plan Defined Contribution services though the replacement of legacy recordkeeping platforms.
- Delivered integrated mainframe, distributed client server, workstation, voice response, and internet application solutions across multiple geographic locations.
- Led cross organizational management team for strategic alliance and joint venture analysis of competitive firms.
- Partnered with business executives in the planning and competitive forecasting of critical trends and functionality needs for 401(k) services.
- Executed seamless conversions of large corporate plans onto new platform.
- Led the design and implementation of industry leading product innovations, including the county’s first self-directed window functionality.
The Kwasha Lipton Group, Fort Lee, NJ 1987 – 1994
Systems Consultant, Client Systems
- Consulted with Fortune 100 companies to develop and implement customized software for comprehensive benefits administration systems.
- Led team in the execution of requirements analysis, functional specifications, systems design, and acceptance testing.
- Led development of proposals and quotes for new business acquisitions and evaluated cross-organizational resource requirements.
- Developed and implemented time/cost saving solutions maximizing productivity and reducing per participant support costs enabling the retention of key large corporate pension plans.
- Led analysis of existing business processes of internal divisions utilizing cross-organizational workflows.
Stanford University, Graduate School of Business, 2006
Stanford Executive Program, Palo Alto, CA
Corporate sponsored executive management program at Stanford.
Bachelors in Mathematics & Economics, Princeton University, 1983 – 1987
Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) Current
Series 7, 24, 63 Licenses: General Securities Representative & General Securities Principal
- Corporate Board of Directors, Schwab Performance Technologies
- Schwab Institutional Advisory Board
- Recognized Speaker/Panelist: “Integration of Offshore Services in the Financial Services Industry”
- Investment Advisor, Co-Author: “Security In A New Age: How to protect your firm from 21st century online criminals”