Sending a thank you letter makes it easy for employers to pick you out of a crowd.
Writing a thank you letter after a job interview can increase your chances for getting the job, but knowing how to write it is another trick.
Employers like to hear “thank you” from candidates because it reemphasizes your interest in working for them and that way they know you are genuinely interested in the position.
Sending a letter of thanks sets you apart from other candidates and puts you in a better position and increases your chances for getting the job.
Why send a thank you letter?
- To keep your name fresh in their minds.
- To remind the employer about the interview and to restate your interest in the job.
- To demonstrate professional manners and etiquette.
- To review and highlight your key strengths as they relate to the job. But this is not the time to restate all of your skills, just one or two of them as they relate to the job.
- To include additional information that you originally left out or did not have time to discuss, but keep it relevant to the job.
Account Executive thank you letter from an advertising interview in business letter format:
7374 Fable Lane
Cupertino, CA 90254
June 15, 20xx
Jack Webster, Sales Manager
1257 East 83rd St.
New York, NY 75471
Dear Mr. Webster,
I am grateful for the interview that I had with you. It was interesting to note how similar my outlook on radio is to Boom. Radio is a medium that needs the best minds to keep it flourishing. My experience and forward thinking is exactly what Boom needs in order to stay on top of the market and bring in new advertising business.
In the past five years, I have specialized in pursuing new business in media sales. I have the ability to make contact with and sell advertising time on the radio to prospective customers. Though my sales experience is not directly in radio, it is in media sales.
I did not mention in our interview that I have a creative side that may be useful in learning how to develop such plans.
Thank you for considering me for the Account Executive position. I would enjoy the opportunity to speak with you again about how I can help Boom Radio grow.
Joel Farschman (signature)